Thursday, November 4, 2010

Homemade Pumpkin Soup that's Mmm Mmm Good!

I’m not sure what happened to our cool fall weather here in Southern California, as we’re hitting record highs in the 90s this week.  But, that didn’t stop me from trying my hand at making pumpkin soup. 
I have only made pumpkin soup from scratch one other time, about 3 or 4 years ago.  I remember being surprised at how easy it was and how yummy it turned out.  I’m not sure why I forgot to try it again…so when my boyfriend Tom’s mom gave me a Sugar Pie Pumpkin last week, I decided to roast it up and make some soup.  I searched high and low for that recipe I used a few years back, but couldn’t for the life of me remember where I found it.  I’m sure from watching some television show on the Food Network or PBS.  I couldn’t even really remember what all went into it, though it seems I had to purchase some spices I didn’t already own.  And there was a jalapeno pepper in it – that, I remember!  But beyond that, I just remember that it was a spicy savory yummy goodness that seemed worth revisiting.  In my search I did find 3 or 4 different recipes that sounded good and that very well could have been close to the same recipe I used before, but there was one that really stood out: Thai Spiced Pumpkin Soup.  I absolutely L-O-V-E love red Thai curry and my most favorite version is the one with coconut milk and pumpkin.  When I was living in the Bay Area (most recently in the Grand Lake neighborhood of Oakland) I would have pumpkin curry about once a week.  Much to my disappointment, I have not been able to find pumpkin curry anywhere in Orange County.   L  So when I found this recipe, I just HAD to try it.  I’m sure you’ll find this to be a real TREAT especially now that prices on pumpkins have been slashed post Halloween! (puns intended J)
I have to admit, I’m a little intimidated by making homemade soup.  I consider myself to be a fairly skilled home cook with better than average skills and so it’s a bit counter-intuitive that something as simple as soup would instill culinary insecurity in me.  You see, I didn’t grow up eating homemade soup.   My mother like many moms of the early 70s made great use of all the modern conveniences of boxed and canned goods in her recipes.  Growing up, she never learned to cook because her mother passed away when she was young.  It was my Dad’s grandmother (my great-grandma Graves) and mother (my Nana) who were the first to teach her when she was in her early 20s and first married to my father.  By the time I was born, I had five other siblings, so with all those mouths to feed she took every convenience she could in the kitchen.  So Campbell’s was the soup of our household.

There is so very little that intimidates me in the kitchen, and even I can see the irony that soup – arguably one of the easiest things to make, would be my nemesis.  About 6 or 7 years ago I had an Italian roommate named Alessandro who lived with me for a few months.  As you can imagine, being Italian, he was a great cook.  The thing he cooked the most – nearly every single night – was soup.  Ultimately, it was watching him make soup that finally started to unravel the mystery for me, and I began to gain confidence and finally the courage to try it for myself.  It’s not a mainstay in my arsenal of recipes, but if I had to whip one up with just the ingredients I had on hand I could.  And, it probably would even taste good.  But this soup…this one is going into the arsenal!  I can see enjoying this each and every fall.  I did make a few tweaks to the recipe I found…hopefully you’ll enjoy it as much as I did! Trust me it’s Mmm Mmm Good!

Ingredients
1 Sugar Pie Pumpkin
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 teaspoon Sea Salt
1 Can of Coconut Milk (14 oz.)
1 teaspoon to 1 Tablespoon of Red Curry Paste
1-2 Cups Vegetable or Chicken stock (heat separately in microwave)
Dash of Fresh grated nutmeg
Pinch of sugar

Crispy Sage Leaves (optional as garnish)
Method
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Slice the pumpkin in half lengthwise, and remove seeds and stringy stuff (reserve seeds if desired and roast for snacking or as a garnish for soup).  Lightly oil with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with sea salt.  Place cut side down on a foil lined baking sheet and roast in the oven for 45 min to an hour until a knife easily pokes through flesh.  Remove pumpkin from oven and let cool.  Once cooled, scoop out flesh and place in saucepan.  Depending on how much pumpkin flesh you yield, add ½ to 1 can of coconut milk to your desired taste.  Gently heat on stove top and add in curry paste.  I like my curry fairly spicy so I added more than a Tablespoon…start with 1 teaspoon and add to it for your own desired spiciness.   Remove from heat and add in warmed stock ½ cup at a time.  Puree the soup with a stick blender adding additional stock until soup reaches your desired texture.  Then season with salt, a pinch of sugar and a dash of fresh nutmeg.  I also browned some small sage leaves in butter until they were crisp and added as a garnish.


Suggested Wine Pairings:
When eating spicy Thai foods, I enjoy a dry Muscat or Riesling if opting for wine.  Otherwise go for an ice cold beer (I recommend Singha or Sapporo)

3 comments:

  1. Dawn... awesome blog! Welcome to the world of blogging ... prepare to become obsessed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice start Dawn! Keep up the good work. You'll find these things take a life of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it Girl!! Blogging is very theraputic AND fun! Looking forward to seeing more. Can't wait to try the pumpkin soup recipe. I heart soup in the Fall/Winter.

    ReplyDelete