Thursday, January 20, 2011

Welcome 2011!

Wow… where has January gone?!  Umm…while we are on the topic: where did that last decade go?!  As I reflected on that this morning I was really surprised at how quickly time has passed.  Isn’t it funny that as we get older time seems to go by faster?  As a child I remember thinking a month was nearly an eternity, let alone a year (except when it came to summer vacation which always flew by like lightning).  Yet as a quatrogenerian (can you dig it?!) I’m marveling at how the passage of TEN years went by so quickly?!  An old boss of mine had a great insight into explaining this phenomenon:  When you are a child, say ten years of age – the time that a week or month or even a whole year represents in comparison to your lifetime is much larger when you’re younger.  For example, a year when you’re a ten year old represents 1/10th of your lifetime vs. at age 30 one year represents only 1/30th of your life. Therefore, time is relative.   So in some twisted way, this seems comforting to me.
Speaking of twisted…(great segue right?!)
                                    
I know we usually think about lemons as a summer time fruit, but they are actually in season right now.  Tom’s mom has an abundant Meyer Lemon tree next door to her so last time I was there I picked oh… about 30 lemons.  I louvre lemons…especially Meyers!  In my excitement – perhaps it was their sweet floral scent that was intoxicating me – I didn’t really stop to think about how 2 people could possibly consume 30 lemons before they rotted.  So what did I do?  Well when life gives me lemons…I don’t just make lemonade, I head straight to the internet for every recipe I can find on Meyer lemons. 
I remembered coming across a food blog (Yummy Supper) a few months ago with beautiful photos that had 3 or 4 recipes for Meyer Lemons and so that’s where I started.  One recipe was for preserved lemons.  Never heard of it.  But then I saw the pictures of the Braised Halibut with Preserved Lemons and Pistachios and decided immediately I needed to try it!  I would love to say I’ve tried the Halibut, but the lemons take a month to “preserve” so all I can say is that I HOPE it turns out as good as it looks.  They are currently curing away in my fridge. 
Now that was all fine and well – but I needed a quick fix.  I needed to make something with my lemons that I could try RIGHT NOW.  So I decided to make Candied Lemon Bits – a fantastically easy recipe that is fast and Oooooo so yummy.  I think they could make a very sweet hostess gift, and certainly work great as a sweet breath freshener post-morning coffee.  Next I plan to make Martha Stewart’s Lemon Curd.  Do YOU have a favorite lemon recipe?  If so, I’d love to hear from you!
Now – normally I offer up a wine pairing suggestion.  But today I’m offering up a cocktail recipe – a Meyer Lemon Drop Martini. 
I hope you are lucky enough to have a Meyer lemon tree near you!
Preserved Lemons
There are some great photos demonstrating the process found on Yummy Supper Blog

 Ingredients:

12 Meyer Lemons
10 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
1 – 2 Clean Canning Jars

Scrub lemons until nice and clean. Cut a thin slice from the tops and bottoms of 10 lemons.  Set 2 whole lemons aside to juice later.  Cut two deep intersecting slits in the 10 lemons. Make sure each lemon is still attached, but the center should be nice and accessible to receive lots of salt. Heap salt into each crevice. Squish salted lemons into a clean jar or two.

Let lemons sit jarred for 3-4 days allowing the skins to soften. Then press the lemons again and cover them with juice squeezed from the two remaining lemons. Be sure the curing lemons are completely covered with juice (this will avoid mold growth).  Store in the refrigerator for at least a month before using.  As needed, pluck a preserved lemon from the jar, rinse off salt and use as directed by your recipe.
Also check out the Halibut recipe I mention…I can't wait to try it out!! 








Candied Lemon Peel 

Ingredients:
4-6 Meyer Lemons
2 Cups Sugar, Divided
1 Cup Water
Wash and scrub lemons.  Peel your lemons into long strips while trying to avoid as much white “pith” as possible. After removing the peels, blanch them in simmering water for about 3 minutes to remove the bitter oils.  Scrape any remaining pith from the blanched peels using the back of a spoon. You might end up with a little pith, which is fine.Lay out parchment paper and set out a low bowl with sugar.  Take the strips/bits and dip them in the sugar, which will easily stick to the syrupy peels.  Let dry on parchment.  Store in an airtight container.

Make a simple syrup by combining 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir regularly until sugar has dissolved.  Add peels to simple syrup. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes. (Note that thicker skinned citrus like oranges may need 5 minutes to blanch and up to 20 minutes in the syrup).

Be sure to save the simple syrup for my Meyer Lemon Drop Martini or if you are willing to part with the syrup, bottle it and give it to a friend!




Meyer Lemon Drop Martini
1 ½ oz. High Quality Vodka (I like Ketel One)
Juice from ½  Meyer Lemon
2 to 4 Tbsp Reserved Lemon Syrup (from Candied Lemon Peel recipe)
1 Cup Ice
Sugar (for rimming glass)

Wet a martini glass and chill in the freezer for 10 minutes.  Run flesh of lemon around the rim of martini glass then dip into a plate with sugar on it to give a nice sugared rim.  Then combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker (add the ice last so as not to water down the delishiousness).  Give it a few good shakes (or stir if you prefer).  Pour into chilled martini glass and garnish with a bit of the candied lemon peel.  Mmmm…I Die.
Cheers -- and Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment